The Mecke reagent on its own is colorless. It’s best to use Mecke reagent to test MDMA, MDA, 2C-B, meth/amphetamine, or opioids, but it’s also a good test for benzofurans, cathinones, cocaine, tryptamines, and phenethylamines.
NOTE: Mecke can only test the PRESENCE, not PURITY or QUANTITY of a specific substance.
Always test under a strong light and using the smallest possible sample. Never open more than 1 bottle at once, if you make a mistake you might contaminate the reagents and spoil them. If a few reactions are happening at once, only the darkest one of them will be visible. To detect adulterants, try using on fresh samples secondary reagent tests like Robadope, Simon’s, Scott or Zimmermann. If you don’t know yet how to test using Mecke reagent, see the following instructions:
- On a clean ceramic surface (e.g. bottom of a mug or a plate) prepare a sample no bigger than this size -> ●
- Carefully not to touch the sample with the bottle, remove the cap, twist the bottle upside-down and wait for 1 drop to fall. Replace the cap.
- Immediately observe the color change and compare it with the Mecke color chart. No reaction within the first 30 seconds or unexpected results indicate the sample doesn’t contain the expected substance or is adulterated.
- Neutralize the reaction with baking soda (optional) and flush in a sink under running water for a few minutes.
No reaction can be caused by amphetamine, many cathinones, but also cocaine, caffeine and other substances (or lack of active ingredient). CHECK TESTDRUGS APP – TestDrugs.info
Common Mecke color reactions:
- 2C-B – yellow to olive brown (needs Robadope test)
- DMT / DET – yellow to green (needs tests Ehrlich and Hofmann)
- DOC / DOM – green to brown (needs Robadope test)
- DXM – yellow
- MDMA / MDA – immediate green to black (needs tests Simon’s and/or Robadope)
- MDPV / HEXEN / BK-EBDP – yellow (needs tests Zimmermann and Simon’s)
- Butylone / Methylone – orange to brown (needs tests Zimmermann and Simon’s)
- Methamphetamine – yellow (needs Simon’s test)
- Oxycodone – beige / pale olive
- Codeine / Morphine / Heroin – green to greenish-blue
- To estimate purity of a substance (amount of adulterants and potency) use Substance Purity Test Kit.
- To precisly estimate MDMA potency use MDMA Purity Test Kit, which additionaly contains a calibrated plastic measuring tool.