The Hofmann reagent on its own is colorless. It’s best to use Hofmann reagent to test LSD or DMT, but it’s also a good test for all lysergamides and tryptamines.
NOTE: Hofmann can only test the PRESENCE, not PURITY or QUANTITY of a specific substance.
Always test under a strong light and using the smallest possible sample. Never open more than 1 bottle at once, if you make a mistake you might contaminate the reagents and spoil them. If a few reactions are happening at once, only the darkest one of them will be visible. To detect adulterants, try also Ehrlich reagent on a fresh sample, and if both don’t react, use also Marquis and/or Mecke. If you don’t know yet how to test using Hofmann reagent, see the following instructions:
- On a clean ceramic surface (e.g. bottom of a mug or a plate) prepare a sample no bigger than this size -> ●
- Carefully not to touch the sample with the bottle, remove the cap, twist the bottle upside-down and wait for 1 drop to fall. Replace the cap.
- Immediately observe the color change and compare it with the Hofmann color chart. No reaction within the first 30 seconds or unexpected results indicate the sample doesn’t contain the expected substance or is adulterated.
- Neutralize the reaction with baking soda (optional) and flush in a sink under running water for a few minutes.
No reaction can be caused by 1P-LSD, ALD-52, AL-LAD, 2C-x, DOx, NBOMe, N3OMe, NBOH, NBF, and other substances (or lack of active ingredient). CHECK TESTDRUGS APP – TestDrugs.info
Common Hofmann color reactions:
NOTE: Hofmann reagent reacts much less vividly than Ehrlich.
- 5-HTP – very slow yellow > green
- 5-MeO-DALT (freebase) – yellow > green (needs tests Ehrlich, and/or Marquis and Mecke)
- 5-MeO-DMT (freebase) – yellow > green (needs tests Ehrlich, and/or Marquis and Mecke)
- 5-MeO-DMT (HCl) – green (needs tests Ehrlich, and/or Marquis and Mecke)
- 5-MeO-MiPT (HCl) – green (needs tests Ehrlich, and/or Marquis and Mecke)
- DMT – yellow (needs tests Ehrlich, and/or Marquis and Mecke)
- LSD – dark blue (needs Ehrlich test)
- To estimate purity of a substance (amount of adulterants and potency) use Substance Purity Test Kit.
- To precisly estimate MDMA potency use MDMA Purity Test Kit, which additionaly contains a calibrated plastic measuring tool.
CLICK HERE to download hofmann reagent color chart in full resolution.