Ehrlich Reagent Test Instructions
The Ehrlich reagent on its own it is slightly yellow. It’s best to use Ehrlich reagent to test LSD or DMT, but it’s also a good test for all lysergamides and tryptamines.
NOTE: Ehrlich can only test the PRESENCE, not PURITY or QUANTITY of a specific substance.
Always test under a strong light and using the smallest possible sample. Never open more than 1 bottle at once, if you make a mistake you might contaminate the reagents and spoil them. If a few reactions are happening at once, only the darkest one of them will be visible. To detect adulterants, try also Hofmann reagent on a fresh sample, and if both don’t react, use also Marquis and/or Mecke. If you don’t know yet how to test using Ehrlich reagent, see the following instructions:
- On a clean ceramic surface (e.g. bottom of a mug or a plate) prepare a sample no bigger than this size -> ●
- Carefully not to touch the sample with the bottle, remove the cap, twist the bottle upside-down and wait for 1 drop to fall. Replace the cap.
- Immediately observe the color change and compare it with the Ehrlich color chart. No reaction within the first 5-10 minutes or unexpected results indicate the sample doesn’t contain the expected substance or is adulterated.
- Neutralize the reaction with baking soda (optional) and flush in a sink under running water for a few minutes.
No reaction can be caused by 1P-LSD, ALD-52, 2C-x, DOx, NBOMe, N3OMe, NBOH, NBF, and other substances (or lack of active ingredient). CHECK TESTDRUGS APP – TestDrugs.info
Common Ehrlich color reactions:
- 5-HTP – pink (needs Hofmann test)
- 4-ACO-DMT – pink (needs tests Hofmann, and/or Marquis and Mecke)
- 4-HO-MET – pink (needs tests Hofmann, and/or Marquis and Mecke)
- DMT – pink (needs tests Hofmann, and/or Marquis and Mecke)
- LSD – pink (needs Hofmann test)
Find the best reagent test kits HERE. Next choose a purity testing kit. They can detect all adulterants at once, but still require reagent tests for identifying ingredients.
- To estimate purity of a substance (amount of adulterants and potency) use Substance Purity Test Kit.
- To precisly estimate MDMA potency use MDMA Purity Test Kit, which additionaly contains a calibrated plastic measuring tool.
CLICK HERE to download Ehrlich reagent color chart in full resolution.